Bloody April - 1917 is a campaign game from Terry Goodchild’s ‘Wings over France’ rules for solitaire play of WWI aerial combat during the Battle of Arras. Like all the combat of the war the offensive took a terrible toll, but in the air the Allied losses were especially heavy compared to those of Germany. This campaign attempts to recreate that bloody month . . .

ASSIGNMENTS & REPORTS


To the Men of the Amiens Sector:

We are about to undertake a great offensive. It will prove to be a challenge for all of you and your aircraft. Because of the defensive nature of the Hun air strategy we must take the battle to him, which we will do with the utmost vigor. Remember always our primary responsibility is to provide assistance to the ground forces; this is the highest priority, and to do so, we must do everything possible to protect our reconnaissance and observation aircraft. Set forth and do battle knowing that with you are the confidence and heart-felt appreciation of a grateful nation.
Colonel J.B. Wagner-Stowe DSO
Commanding Officer, Amiens Sector

Sunday 3 April 2011

54 Sqdrn. 'B' Flight - Twilight Patrol - April 19, 1917.

Sir:

Since there were no pilots from B Flt, No. 54 Sqdn, available to conduct a Twilight Patrol this evening, I decided to take it on myself. Like my previous twilight patrols, I climbed to 15,000 feet and waited for twilight over Arras. Just as the light started to fade, I was rewarded with the sight of three Albatros D2s 3000 feet below me. One of the Albatroses was trailing smoke, and I thought the need for the other two to protect it would balance the odds, so I attacked. Even though my gun jammed once, I managed to clear it, and I fired on the enemy four times, from favorable positions. And yet, I saw no effect. When we'd fought our way down to 6000 feet, the Albatroses disappeared into the overcast.

It was now too dark to have a reasonable chance of spotting enemy aircraft, so I descended to 1000 feet, and made my way southward along the lines, waving to our troops and strafing the German trenches. I went as far as Bapaume, and returned to Corbie low on ammunition.

(signed) Major Benjamin Wagner
C/O No. 54 Sqdn RFC
April 19, 1917

****************
Victory Points
Patrolled 5 Hexes +10
Trench Strafing +10
Total +20

No comments: