Bloody April - 1917 is a campaign game from Terry Goodchild’s ‘Wings over France’ rules for solitaire play of WWI aerial combat during the Battle of Arras. Like all the combat of the war the offensive took a terrible toll, but in the air the Allied losses were especially heavy compared to those of Germany. This campaign attempts to recreate that bloody month . . .

ASSIGNMENTS & REPORTS


To the Men of the Amiens Sector:

We are about to undertake a great offensive. It will prove to be a challenge for all of you and your aircraft. Because of the defensive nature of the Hun air strategy we must take the battle to him, which we will do with the utmost vigor. Remember always our primary responsibility is to provide assistance to the ground forces; this is the highest priority, and to do so, we must do everything possible to protect our reconnaissance and observation aircraft. Set forth and do battle knowing that with you are the confidence and heart-felt appreciation of a grateful nation.
Colonel J.B. Wagner-Stowe DSO
Commanding Officer, Amiens Sector

Tuesday 15 March 2011

54 Sqdrn. 'B' Flight - Twilight Patrol - April 18, 1917.

Sir:

I took the Triplane up to 15,000 feet over Arras this evening to test the repairs to the controls. The mist began to clear when I saw to Albatros D2s at 4000 feet below me. I dove to attack, driving one of them off, but was unable to gain an advantage over the other. After it broke off, I descended to 1000 feet to reconnoitrer the lines. As soon as I arrived over no-man's land, the Red Baron appeared on my tail, hitting my petrol tank. It wasn't easy, but I eventually broke free and headed back to the aerodrome. Unfortunately, I had lost too much petrol, and had to set my machine down in a clearing between Mercatel and Arras.

(signed) Major Benjamin Wagner
C/O, No. 54 Sqdn RFC
April 18, 1917

****************
Victory Points
Allied Scout w/ Minor Damage (Wagner) -3
Total -3

No comments: