Bloody April - 1917 is a campaign game from Terry Goodchild’s ‘Wings over France’ rules for solitaire play of WWI aerial combat during the Battle of Arras. Like all the combat of the war the offensive took a terrible toll, but in the air the Allied losses were especially heavy compared to those of Germany. This campaign attempts to recreate that bloody month . . .

ASSIGNMENTS & REPORTS


To the Men of the Amiens Sector:

We are about to undertake a great offensive. It will prove to be a challenge for all of you and your aircraft. Because of the defensive nature of the Hun air strategy we must take the battle to him, which we will do with the utmost vigor. Remember always our primary responsibility is to provide assistance to the ground forces; this is the highest priority, and to do so, we must do everything possible to protect our reconnaissance and observation aircraft. Set forth and do battle knowing that with you are the confidence and heart-felt appreciation of a grateful nation.
Colonel J.B. Wagner-Stowe DSO
Commanding Officer, Amiens Sector

Sunday 24 April 2011

54 Sqdrn. 'B' Flight - Twilight Patrol - April 20, 1917.

Sir:

I conducted a Twilight Patrol for B Flt this evening, following my usual plan of climbing to 15,000 feet and heading toward Arras to wait for the light to fade. This time, however, I spotted two Albatros D2s 6000 feet below me while I was passing north of Albert. One was trailing smoke, and I dove to attack. I shot the undamaged HA down on my third pass, but the damaged one got away.

I returned to 15,000 feet and flew to Arras, where once again, I spotted two Albatros D2s. Both were undamaged, and flying at 13,000 feet. Again, I dove to attack, but my gun jammed. By the time I'd cleared the jam, the Albatroses had escaped.

I descended to 1000 feet and flew southward along the lines, waving to our troops. I refrained from strafing the German lines, as the two combats had used about half my ammunition. Visibility had become good, and I wanted to make sure I had ammunition available if further HA were encountered. I found a use for that ammunition between Mercatel and Bapaume, when I was attacked by a Halberstadt D3 and two Albatros D2s. I got into a turning contest with one of the Albatroses, and eventually forced it down — unfortunately behind the German lines. I expended the last of my ammunition on the Halberstadt to no avail, and broke for home. After this display, I don't see how any of our troops could have misidentified my Triplane, but a trigger-happy machine gunner fired on me, a bullet grazing my arm. I returned to land safely at Corbie aerodrome, but will be out of action for a few days.

(signed) Major Benjamin Wagner
C/O No. 54 Sqdn RFC
April 20, 1917

****************
Victory Points
Patrolled 4 Hexes +8
One German Scout Shot Down (Wagner) +20
One German Scout Forced Down w/ Bad Damage and Minor Injury (Wagner) +8
One Allied Aircrew Slightly Wounded (Wagner) -10
Total +26

1 comment:

Eric M. said...

The rules don't say how to score "Forced Down", so I just made up the +8 points for "Forced Down w/ Bad Damage and Minor Injury". It seemed like it should be worth more than the +3 for "Damaged/Aborted", but less than the +20 for "Shot Down". I settled on +8 because it's half the points I would have lost if it had happened to an Allied aircraft (-6 for scout with bad damage, -10 for the minor injury).